Monday, May 22, 2017

The Nina Variations








Who needs daylight when you have big bright lights in NYC?
I know these photos from Friday night aren't the best, but I just had to show you guys this outfit!

I think it is very sophisticated and very on trend.
I think this outfit is kind of the perfect example of me growing up.
I know that sounds silly, but I have always said, what you wear says a lot about you. 
And I think this outfit says that I am young, confident and mature.
I would never ever have the guts to wear this outfit when I was in high school.
But now that I am done with my first year of college, I no longer care about what people think of what I wear, and I am the most confident I have ever been in my entire life.
And I hope you guys can see that just through my photos.

I didn't get a chance to take photos earlier in the day because my mom and I were running late to the theater.
I took the train in and met my mom at FIT, The Fashion Institute of Technology, her alma mater, on 7th avenue, and then we went to dinner and rushed off to the theater.
I walked from Penn Station to meet my mom and I got a lot of looks from a lot of men and women.
I couldn't tell if they were all admiring or maybe envying my "smart little scarf" or maybe just my outfit in general. 
No cat calls this time. 
Probably because I was walking quickly, keeping my eyes in front of me, "Long Island stink face" on, and goal in mind.  

After dinner, we went to a little black box theater, off 7th street to see my cousin, Jasmine and her boyfriend perform in the Nina Variations.
It is a show about Chekhov's The Seagull and all the various endings that could have happened. 
My cousin and her boyfriend were amazing! And I'm not just saying that because she is my cousin, but because she is so talented. You could really feel her emotions and that everything she was saying was coming from the heart. As my high school theater teacher would say, it was "honest" acting. 
I could feel her aces and pains.
I've learned, that to be a good actor, you don't act at all. 
Rather, you take all the emotions and words of the character and make them your own through your own life experiences.
Whenever I did a monologue, it was so hard for me to be "honest." Being "honest" makes your body hurt inside. Literally.
I know it sounds weird and it's hard to explain. But, it's a weirdly amazing feeling. 

If you want to see her show, click HERE for tickets!

I met her boyfriend after the show and he told me, that like my cousin, he also went to college in Winston-Salem, at the School of the Arts, where he later asked if all the boys were treating me well down at Wake.
I congratulated him on a wonderful performance and that I really could appreciate their theater production because I had done theater my whole life and I know how hard it is to be an "honest" actor.

I will be seeing many more theater productions in the next couple of weeks because I have some very special guests coming to visit me in the big apple!!
Get excited!!

Dress: J Crew white and black stripped a-line dress
Scarf: red bandana 
Bag: Michael Kors medium Selma bag in light brown
Shoes: Jack Rogers Hampton sandals in platinum
Earrings: Tiffany pearl studs
Watch: Michael Kors gold Blair watch
Bracelets: J Crew gold and pave chain link bracelet, Tory Burch gold logo bangle and Hermès pink and gold clic-clack H bangle 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Tall and Preppy | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig